pretty pretty chiffon

September 5, 2013

king textiles2

king textiles3

king textiles1

King Textiles in Toronto, Ontario fashion district.

Oh you know, just holding up some beautiful chiffon fabric I scored in Toronto’s fashion district up to the light pouring in my hotel room like a familiar scene straight from the Lion King or something.  Yeah, I was that proud. Only thing is, I have NO idea how to actually work with chiffon.

Hashtag. HELP.

But first things first is this blasted high-waist shorts pattern. I’ve been at home ill since Sunday, so I haven’t given it much thought besides the feeling of giving up, lol. I’m starting to feel better though, so maybe I’ll give it another go. Because if not, I can always use the fabric for a crop top or something just as equally anti-fall season-ish.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

oonaballoona September 6, 2013 at 8:03 AM

that fabric is STUPENDOUS. i just worked with a metric ton of silk chiffon…and i learned most of all that i need to take my time. i don’t know if yours is silk, but if it is mine loved a #10 microtex schmetz needle, mercerized cotton thread, and french seams. i can’t wait to see what you make, including those shorts!

raven September 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Thanks!! Not sure if it’s silk???? I’m thinking not, but sincerely THANK YOU for the heads up on the needle-changing and thread lookout. I would’ve been up the creek because I usually don’t even think to change up the threads especially. I will definitely be going slow for sure, and the french seams are definitely a must :)

Jeana September 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Don’t give up yet on your shorts!! That is gorgeous fabric here….. What do you plan to make?

raven September 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Tempted, but I won’t! Thanks, I’m kinda thinking of making the Simplicity 1694 top. I hate I only got 1 yard. I wish I had gotten much more!

Jeana September 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM

It’s a cute top, but if shorts were what you were wanting, I’d hate to see you abandon it completely.

Miesha September 8, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Also when you cut your pattern out, make a sandwich of tissue paper, fabric then pattern on top! The tissue paper will keep your chiffon from slip sliding all over the place! That fabric is gorgeous!

raven September 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

That is GENIUS Miesha!!!! I will totally do that – THANK you!!! :D

Jeana September 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM

That is a good tip! I wish I had known this before, I’m sure it would have taken lots of frustration out of cutting thin fabrics.